fredag 2 mars 2012

Analyzing

The last week was spent designing the level on paper. At first I drew a rough sketch on graph paper of a basic layout. The was done to get some measurement proportions for the modular parts.
I then started to research some CTF maps. The maps I researched was VCTF_Necropolis, CTF_FaceClassic, CTF_Absolute_Zero, CTF_1on1_Joust and CTF_Maul. These are all maps from the Unreal series by Epic.
The things I was looking for was if the map was symmetrical, if it had alternate routes from base to base, if it has more then one level of height, if it had any open spaces and where the spawn points were placed in relation the flags.
This gave me some ideas of how I could design my own map as well as of how big or small it should be to support play for 4 players. I want to have some alternate routes and not just a corridor - room - corridor - room map.
I have also decided to color code each half of the level for the respective teams' side. This could be done either by textures or by lightning. This should help the players to locate themselves since the map will be symmetrical.
I have also an idea of giving the map lower gravity since the narrative of the level is that of a sci-fi spaceship. But this is something I will have to look into later.
After the research I finished my own layout on paper. It is not 100 % accurate yet and I am sure that it is going to and should change when I start to test the map, but will serve as a guide when I do the actual blockout in UDK.
I have also started to model several different parts. I am making them as modular as possible so that they can be tiled, rotated and placed on several places in the map. This method will let me try out new ideas on the fly in UDK and let me use rapid prototyping while designing the map.
One of my aesthetics for the map design is chaos. I have thought of different ways to compensate my design for this. One idea that I have is to let all the players spawn in the same room and this spawn room will be in the middle of the map, but this will have to be tested.

Here is a screenshot of a floor piece. I will show of some more models as soon as they are finished



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar